Instructions about Writing a Report
Reports present and analyze findings from practical research.
To begin, you need to provide anaim to investigate, to explore and probably a hypothesis. Depending on the guidelines or purpose, a report may make recommendations.
A report is, thus, a systematic, well-organized document that considers a subject or problem. It includes:
- the record of a sequence of events or facts
- interpretation of their significance
- evaluation of the facts or results of research presented
- discussion of the outcomes of a decision or course of action
The content of a report is based on a research or practical work. usually descriptive, reporting sequential events. However, in contrast with narratives, they involve a final evaluation, in the form of recommendations or a conclusion.
' You should explain what your report is about in the first paragraph
- Tip: If you are asked, for example, to write a report to your Head-teacher about a School trip you organized, you will have to invent some details to make your report realistic (i.e. Name of the place you went to, how did you travel there, who was involved in the school trip...)
- Main findings and/or analysis
The choice of sections/ sub-headings will depend on the purpose of your report
- Good aspects (fun, improved relationship with teachers...)
- Negative aspects (bus was too expensive, Not allowed to go out at night)
You have to be able to summarize everything you just said and add some recommendation for the future.
Reports must be:
- well structured
As a report is usually written for a superior or a peer group, your register cannot be informal. Avoid abbreviations and casual language. You should think about how to join your ideas, using appropriate connecting words and phrases. For a report, you need to use many different types of connectors to express purpose and sequence.
Assessment of report essays
|Does your report have a tittle?|
Is it at least 100 words long?
|Coherence, cohesion and register
|Does the title make sense?|
Is the variety of linking devices used efficiently?
|Does it show a variety of grammatical features?|
Is the English accurate?
|Are the variety of words and expressions used wide?|
Are words used accurately?